Language Review : Articles
a/an • We use a or an before singular countable nouns.
a publicity stunt
• We use a or an to introduce new information.
They are building up to a traditional 30·second advertising campaign
• We often use a or an to refer to people's jobs.
She's an accountant
• We use a before consonants and an before vowel sounds
a commercial, an advert
the • We use the when we think our listener will know what we are talking about.
• We use the when it is clear from the context what particular person,thing or place is meant because it has been mentioned before.
The campaign is the latest attempt to ...
'zero article' We do not use an article before:
• uncountable nouns used in general statements.
Information is power.
• the names of most countries, companies and people.
Poland, Honda, Ian Armstrong
• A few countries require the:
the Philippines, the United Kingdom, the United States
Tick the correct sentences.
E- What is the purpose of the missing expressions in each of the three extracts in Exercise D?
a) to introduce a conclusion b) to change section/topic c) to refer to visuals
F- Prepare and deliver a three-minute presentation on your chosen topic from Exercise C.